Bajra, also known as pearl millet, is one of the world’s major sources of nutrition. It is, however, grown in Africa and India and consumed in many other parts of the world.
Bajra is the edible seeds of pearl millet plants typically cooked as a cereal grain or finely ground and used as flour.
In general, cooked millet is a nutrient-dense source of protein, carbs, vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant chemicals. It is also gluten-free and a suitable choice for people with celiac disease or those following a gluten-free diet. Here is a general overview of the super grain bajra and its health benefits
Bajra, like a whole-grain food, has been linked to numerous health benefits such as:
1. Good for diabetic diet – Pearl millets contain carbohydrates that digest slowly and keep blood glucose levels stable for a long time. As a result, they are a healthy food option for a diabetic.
2. Beneficial for heart health – Rich in dietary fibres and cholesterol-lowering properties, these grains are good for heart patients.
3. Perfect for Celiac disease and gluten intolerance – Patients with celiac disease and gluten intolerance can benefit from a pearl millet-based diet because it is gluten-free and easily tolerated by everyone.
4. Therapeutic for people with frequent acidity and stomach ulcers – Pearl millets are one of the few foods that reduce stomach acidity, limiting ulcer formation and discomfort caused by frequent bouts of acidity.
5. Prevents Constipation- Bajra benefits include promoting good gut health. In layman’s terms, eating pearl millets will keep constipation at bay. This is due to the presence of insoluble fibre in bajra.
6. Provides protein to vegetarians- Those who are vegetarians cannot get the needed protein from meat and fish products. This is where pearl millets come in. Bajra’s health benefits include its ability to provide vegetarians with the protein they require. When combined with seeds such as rajma, moong dal, chana dal, and others, bajra flour becomes complete.
7. Lowers Blood pressure- Bajra is well-known for its potassium content, which is essential for people with high blood pressure. Consuming more potassium-rich foods will help flush sodium from your body, lowering blood pressure.
8. Makes bone stronger – The high phosphorus content of bajra helps in making your bones stronger.
9. Lowers cholesterol- Pearl millets contain a sufficient amount of good fat, which is the desired quality of food for people with high cholesterol.
10. Nutritious baby food – Pearl millets are easily digested and well-tolerated by children, making them an essential ingredient in baby food preparations during the weaning period and beyond.
11. Reduces the adverse effects of free radicals in the body and reduces the onset of diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cardiovascular diseases, and aids in wound healing.
12. Ideal for weight management and obesity.
13. Reduces the risk of colon cancers – It raises the pH of the stomach, lowering the risk of colon cancer.
14. Because of the iron and folic acid content, this food is nutritious for pregnant women and nursing mothers.
How to consume Bajra or Pearl Millet:
Bajra is available in various forms for daily consumption. It can be used as flour to make flatbread or dosa, grains to make porridge, processed grains to make poha or upma for breakfast, and as a snack millet or multigrain cookies. The numerous health benefits of bajra make it an ideal superfood for everyone to consume regularly.
The perfect balanced diet can be made by combining your favorite millet recipe with protein-rich dishes containing lentils, cottage cheese, soya chunks, fresh fruits, and vegetable smoothies or salsas. Worried about your Health? Don’t Panic Go Organic with ZZorganic and try tasty and healthy recipes with ZZorganic Bajra Flour